Saturday, September 20, 2008

Don't Like Ike

Before Ike, before I went to Anahuac and the Bolivar Peninsula, I wrote that I actually like tropical storms. Not so much, now. The devastation I have witnessed and so many have lived in Southeast Texas is sobering.

There's nothing malicious about a hurricane: it just is. And if we did not choose to build and live and work and play at the edge of the sea, hurricanes would be benign or even beneficial events.

But, of course we do. My grandparents did. My parents did. So did I, for a time. And with good reason: in Texas, the scape where water and land and sky come together is truly magical.

I'll be posting more blog entries from Ike's aftermath as I have time. Just wanted to get that out there.

For more Ike photos and news coverage, visit http:hurricaneikebolivar.shutterfly.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was speaking with my boss this morning, before I saw you photos, he said one of the things we just don't expect is the smell.

Thanks for the photos.