Monday, December 11, 2006

Misty day on Town Lake

Okay, I was just kidding. You didn't really think I was going to quit posting, did you?


Central Texas weather has been a bit sketchy lately; after months of wishing for one cool day, I'm ready for summer again.

Yesterday, I just had to get out of the house. Despite a light mist and a temp hovering around 50 degrees, I decided to go for a paddle. And heck, if I'm going to dump a boat in the water, might as well take a rod and reel along with me, right?

Turned out to be lovely paddling weather when I put in at Redbud Isle Park, just below the dam ... I entertained myself watching a couple of kingfishers and a blue heron (they always put me in mind of crochety old men).

Coming around the island, I saw a likely looking spot against the north bank of the channel and on my third cast hooked up with the little fella pictured at right. A bit farther upstream, I coasted into a shoal of bait and on my first cast hooked the second fish.

As I was fighting the second fish I could see several other bass chasing the baitfish ... one with the tail of what looked like a shad hanging out of his mouth. It was an unlikely afternoon to go for a paddle, but I'm glad I went.

No comments: