Friday, January 05, 2007

Call me Ishmael

Sometimes the only thing for it is get blind drunk and hope things are a little better if or when you eventually come-to.

That's my theory, anyhow.

Fishing would be healthier. Paddling much healthier. A good dinner and long talk with friends probably more efficacious.

Putting nose to grindstone and working, working, working would certainly be more constructive in the long run.

But there's something darkly attractive about just abandoning oneself to grief, to that profound sadness, even if just for a while. Sometimes it's good not to be able to think all that clearly.

I've been browsing the Merchant Marine Web sites again. And the used sailboat listings.

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

You can call me Ishmael. But, of course, I'm not. I'm just me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a shirt with an interesting quote on it. I can't remember the exact quote but it's something like: "The cure for anything is salt water...sweat, tears and the sea."
I think maybe you should have chosen that quote for your shirt instead!
Equanimity

Anonymous said...

Is this what your mom read and thought you were despressed????

Sounds like you need a little sunshine....good thing our Texas winters are short!

Karen

Aaron Reed said...

Karen: That's the one. You'd think if she was really, terribly concerned, she would've just called. Oh, wait ... she did. I'm trying to figure-out the sunshine schedule ... seems the cold fronts are all coming through on weekends, and it's nearly dark when I leave work. Ah well. Thanks for the comment.